Sand Volleyball Rulebook
4’s SAND VOLLEYBALL RULE BOOK
THE PLAYING FIELD
- The beach volleyball court dimensions is approximately 60’ by 30’.
- 3 teams will be assigned to a court to play designated time slot. The team that is not playing will need to provide 1 ref.
- Players must properly wear BYSC team shirts designated for their use.
- BYSC will provide lines, volleyball, and nets.
- A team may play with a minimum of 3 players ( a minimum of 1 female and 1 male), but the “ghost rule” will apply. When the missing player comes around to serve, it will be a side out and point.
- No more than 2 men on the court at one time.
- If the ball is contacted more than one time, a female must touch the ball. The block does not count as a hit.
- Open hand dinks (finger action) ARE NOT allowed. The ball must be struck cleanly with the palm, arm, or hand when attacking the opponent’s court.
- Players may line up anywhere on the court, it is not possible to be out of rotation. Any player regardless of positioning may attempt an attack or block. Teams must follow a serving order.
- Substitutes ARE permitted during a game, but must be registered within the BYSC website. NO substitutes are allowed to play during playoffs.
- All participating players must be registered on the team.
- 3 Teams will be assigned to a court.
- Each team will play against each other according to the schedule.
- Matches will consist of 2 games to 21 points, (points may be adjusted as season goes on due to lighting) RALLY SCORING (must win by 2) with NO cap (teams switch sides on the court every seven points). If games are running behind, the amount of games or the length of games may be adjusted by the on-site league manager.
- Matches should last approximately 45 minutes.
- All teams/refs are responsible for starting and ending matches on time.
- The referee team of the first match must be there to ref even if they do not play first.
- On each net, the work team for the last match is responsible for returning the clip board/score sheet to the on-site manager.
- There is no deadline for adding additional players onto the roster. To be eligible to play in the playoffs and/or finals, a player must have been present and listed on the line-up sheet for at least 2 matches during the regular season.
- Any team who forfeits more than three weeks of play, or six matches during the regular season will not be eligible to participate in playoffs.
- All players are encouraged to make honor calls. Work teams are not able to see all nets and rule infractions. Honor calls cannot be made in your own favor.
- One 30-second timeout per team, per game are permitted.
- Failure to provide a referee on time will result in the forfeiture of all games that night.
- Protests must be lodged immediately to the league manager regarding rules, illegal players, or other infractions. Protests may not be filed after the date of play.
- A serve may not be blocked or attacked above the height of the net.
- If the server releases the ball for service and does not complete the service, the team will be penalized a point to the opposing team and with a side-out.