BYSC BOCCE RULES
- Teams will consist of a minimum of 4 players and a maximum of 6 on the roster.
- All players must be listed on the roster and acknowledge upon registration the Terms & Conditions to participate.
- Players must be at least 21 years of age or older.
- Teams must have at least 1 female.
- Players can only be on one roster per league.
There are 3 designated bocce courts for field of play. All play takes place within the boundaries of the court.
Bocce balls and Pallino will be provided by BYSC.
- 2 Teams per Game. Each team will consist of 4 players, and each team will throw 4 balls per frame.
- One frame consists of all 8 balls and the pallina being thrown. The pallina is the smaller target ball which is thrown first.
- The object of the game is to get as many of your team’s ball closer to the pallina than the other team’s closest balls.
- The game begins with a rock-paper-scissors between the captains.
- The winner may select to toss the pallina (small white target ball) first or select their choice of bocce ball color.
- The team with the pallina advantage starts each math by throwing the pallina wherever they’d like in the sand. Once the pallina has been thrown, the pallina thrower will draw a line in the sand and throw the first bocce ball. Boundaries are within the sand court. Watch out for other teams playing close by. Tosses can be long or short.
- The opposing team will then throw the next bocce ball, making sure to keep their foot behind the drawn line. Teammates shall alternate throws to ensure everyone throws in each frame. When both teams have used all their bocce balls, at this point the frame is finished. Walk to the balls and count the points. The team whose bocce balls are closest to the pallina gets one point for each ball closer than the opponent’s closest ball. The team that wins the frame toss’s the pallina forward and within the bocce lane to start the next frame.
- Team will play for a max of 30 minutes.
- Only one team can score per frame (toss). One point is given for each ball that is closer to the pallina than the closest ball on the opposing team. If at the end of any frame the closest ball of each team is equidistant from the pallina, no points are awarded to either team and a new frame begins, with the same team tossing the pallina, as the previous frame.
- Games are played for a 30 minute time limit.
- Only team captains may measure any disputed balls. For additional assistance, request help from a league manager.
- If a player throws a wrong color ball ( the other teams’ ball) that ball is considered dead. The player must retrieve the incorrect ball and forfeit their turn. The other team still gets their chance to play.
- A regulation game will have a maximum time limit of 30 minutes.
- A regulation game is played to 11 points best out of three.
- If time limit end and the teams are in the 3rd frame the team with the highest score at the end of regulation time will be granted the win.
- If both team are tied during the 3rd frame. The game will end in a tie.
- Teams must record the score of each game on a sheet at the courts. The league field manager will collect them at the end of games.
- Points will be awarded to teams as follows:
- Win = 1
- Loss = 0
- Tie = 0.5
- Teams standings will be determined by the team with the highest amount of points.
- If total amount of points are equal. Team will be ranked by the following:
- Most Games Won
- Least Games Lost
BYSC CODE OF CONDUCT
- Understand, appreciate and abide by the rules of the game.
- Respect the integrity and judgement of fellow BYSC Bocce players.
- Respect your opponent and congratulate them in a courteous manner following each match whether in victory or defeat.
- Be reasonable for your actions and maintain self-control.
- Do not taunt or bait opponents and refrain from using foul or abusive language.